This Started it All
Cliffhangers (1979)
…all right no snickering)
Dracula (1980)
Now, it has to be said that I’ve always loved vampires. When I was 9 years old I watched a tv series called Cliffhangers which was a trilogy of stories. One of the stories was about Dracula (played by Michael Nouri). Major crush *sigh*. In 1980, Frank Langella played Dracula in the movie Dracula. OMG…That was it. I read any and all vampire books and watched all vampire movies. To me vampires are the ultimate bad boys…sexy, strong, mysterious…the Ultimate Lover.
2009 was not the best of years for me for so many reasons, however I did discover the Sookie Stackhouse Series. I tore through the first 8 books at record speed. Then I read about a show in the U.S. called True Blood. *heart flutter…thud*. However, when I read Book 9, I wasn’t particularly happy with the ending. Major blow. While surfing one night…later to be called Skarsgarding, I discovered (like so many of you) Let Love In by Terri Botta. Holy Shit, Batman. I recommended that to all my friends and got them hooked on it as well.
I’m not trying to bore anyone here, but the point is that the Sookie Stackhouse series and later the SVM/TB Fanfics provided a well needed respite of reality and allowed me to regroup. I will always be grateful to the authors that provided the laughs, drama, and sexy scenes that gave me strength to get through all my own dramas.
Muahh! Thank You So Much
It wasn’t until FF.Net started booting off the stories I was reading that I started signing up to all these blogs to keep up with all the authors that I adored. I started to use my blog to tell my friends what I was reading and hot photos of you know who. And because some of my friends are still in the closet (or coffin if you will) about their lust for Eric Northman and a bit too lazy to search out good fanfics, I would post what I was reading. (Don’t even, you know who you are *points finger*)
Now, I hope that if some new Fanfic Fan or Newbie stumbles across my site, I can lead them to the right places to find what they’re looking for. I will always be updating my site….so please come back now, ye hear!
*Questions are always welcome, too*
So Where to start your Fanfic Obsession?
- Make sure you have an email account: i would recommend opening up a new one just to use for fanfic… your inbox will be full in no time
- Sign up to Fanfic sites (look in my sidebar); they all have filters to find the kind of story you want to read. Fanfiction.net is still the best place to start.
- Check out the following sites to help as well:
[ Note: It’s a good idea to sign up to Twitter so you can get updates to LOADS of Fanfics from MY SVM Addiction (see my sidebar]
These sites will help you find fanfics as well as where to find the authors
Now find somewhere comfy
to start reading.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO LEAVE A REVIEW TO THE AUTHOR. The authors do not make any money from these stories and your encouragement is like gold.
- This is from Fanfiction .net from the Sookieverse Forum:
Topic: Constructive Criticism for Fanfiction/ Review Etiquette
Constructive Criticism, does anyone know what this means? I sure hope so!
No doubt that there are a lot of talented writers out there. I have mentioned before, I feel so lucky that these people take time (out of their very busy lives) to share their stories with us. I am not a writer and I will not even pretend to have the talent they have. But I am an admirer and a reader, and I love being that.
With that said, I just wanted to share that it chaps my hide when I read that some people out there are so freaking immature and mean spirited. Why is that necessary? Sure if you have constructive criticism, please share. I believe most of the writers encourage that, they want to hear about constructive ways to grow in their work.
But why, why, why must some be so malicious!!! If you don’t like it, don’t read it and don’t comment. What is the benefit of sending the writer some nasty PM about their work. It’s their story; their work of art that they put time, love and energy into. It means something to them, and to the people that have marked it as a favorite and added it to their alerts.
My point is that the feedback should encourage, not discourage. I know that some of the writers have felt discouraged to continue writing because they are bombarded with negative comments instead of constructive criticism. Do we really want that? Do we really want the writers to stop sharing their stories with us?
Just as there are many stories that I love, there are some that I don’t. I comment on those that I love and don’t bother to read the ones that don’t hold my interest. I think that is o.k. because there are so many different tastes on this site. That is what makes it such a great site! Different stories will appeal to different audiences and that is great. There is no need to be rude about it.
I can’t believe how many times I have read an author’s note in which they are apologizing to us for taking a lot time to post or in which they have to address negative comments. I mean WTF! These writers are sharing their gift with us! Let’s not forget that. They shouldn’t have to justify anything. It is their story!
Sure, sure, freedom of speech and all that junk, but at least learn how to be respectful and write a somewhat intelligent constructive review people. And lay off on the quit your job, school and your family and write this story full time and update now comments! The writers write to escape, just like we read to escape, but they still have an outside life away from all this, and the readers should too.
That’s my rant. Maybe I am feeling brave posting this because I am not a writer and I don’t have to deal with the BS of negative, rude and outright malicious comments. But I respect the writers here and I felt like something had to be said. I want the writers to feel encouraged to continue writing and growing in their craft, not abandon us completely.
Throw down with me if you want, I’ll just stick my tongue out at you anyway!
Now, enough of my rambling.
Start looking for a good fanfic
and lose yourself into the Sookieverse







































0 comments:
Post a Comment
Many thanks for your comment!
~Fairy
*In order to avoid spam, your comment will be moderated before posting. Thank you for you patience*