Though I read “Deadlocked” by Charlaine Harris a couple of days after it was released (only delayed reading because I was in the middle of another set of books); I have to say it was worth the wait…overall. I have many opinions of the book and it’s relation to the series and will continue adding to my overall opinion in later posts.
The Plot~
Charlaine Harris in my opinion is back on track with writing such a thrilling mystery. Though I enjoyed the last book, “Dead Reckoning”, to a degree, I felt that the last few books haven’t exactly been showing off her skills. Every scene in “Deadlocked” seemed to have reason and thought that continually pulled me into the story and engaged me to try to figure out what is going on. Of course being a lover of Agatha Christie, I go for the “Murder on the Orient Express” approach and suspect everyone. Mrs. Harris took some lovely detours and lead us readers on some surprising discoveries.
The Characters~
From the very first time I read of Sookie Stackhouse, I absolutely adored her. At times so naive, but always brave and lead by her heart. Of course, I want to scream at her for some of her decisions; but I think she is still one of my favourite characters. She’s far from perfect. She cares for her friends and family usually to the detriment of her own safety. She holds herself to ideals that seem unattainable but still tries to anyway. Overall she has had to re-evaluate her ideals and has grown over the course of the series. In “Deadlocked”, I find her to be courageous and still lead by her heart even after all she’s been through. Doesn’t stop me from yelling at my ereader at times!
Of course as most of you know and can see, I am slightly an Eric Northman fan. This is where I cling to my fanfic and click my heels going “There’s no place like Fanfic, There’s no place like Fanfic, There’s no place like Fanfic!” From book 9 onwards I feel that Charlaine Harris lost her love for her creation. I wish she would write from Eric’s point of view to explain the changes in his character that in my opinion has been deviating from the progression of the first 9 books. Maybe I am still miffed that we never had “The Talk” that Eric promised Sookie. Has it been just fanfic that maybe altered my perception of Eric? I don’t think so. In re reading the books, I find this strength, determination, and cunning from Eric that just simply isn’t there anymore. His banter with Sookie long gone and replaced with what seems to me a Viking that is preoccupied all the time.
In “Deadlocked” I have to admit I was absolutely floored by his reaction to Sookie in wanting her to clear up his mess with the magical little compact. Part of me understands that after all he had been through to protect Sookie, he may have wanted to have her make some leap for him. However, to think that after he had bonded to her, married her, endured the torture with her; he would just want her to waste the ultimate wish on such a trivial thing as his marriage arrangement with Freyda. Now he knows that Sookie has a penchant for trouble…usually risking her life, yet he wants her not to use the cluviel dor for her protection, but to break a contract?! WTF?! To be honest, this is my sole issue with the book. It’s a big one to me but the only one. Like PoeticJacqueline had said to me…”he was acting like a big baby.” Which is true. I found our Viking a bit childish in this book. I can understand him being upset that Sookie used it to save Sam and not for her protection, but come on Eric, this is Sookie we’re talking about. Storming off like my 7 year old because she used the Cluviel dor on Sam’s life and not on his stupid contract with Queen of Oklahoma is a bit much for me to handle. Here’s something to soothe you, Viking…
Mr. Cataliades has been a very intriguing character over the series and the bombshell that he dropped in “Dead Reckoning” about giving Sookie her telepathy still has me scratching my head sometimes. However, in “Deadlocked” I really did enjoy his character. After doing the Fangreaders Awards Blackbat52 (aka Sinnerlikeme) put the idea Mr C being Otho from Beetlejuice. I simply can’t envision anyone else now.
Though of course much more wise and calculating, Mr C shows of his talents in telepathy and cleaning up Sookie’s kitchen. Have to say I am happy to hear that he is related to Barry the Bellboy and that little mystery has been tied up nicely in a bow.
Oh Claude, Claude, Claude…you got some spainin’ to do!! I was a bit sad to have Claude behind the whole take down Grandaddy and use Sookie plot. It was very cleverly done and can’t fault Charlaine Harris’s use of such a main character, but I did like Claude.
I will be giving my opinion on more of the characters in “Deadlocked” later…but I just have to say one more thing:
Who else gave a big cheer for the death of Jannalyn?!!
Yes, I found myself pumping air punches at the execution of Jannalyn. Of course, this was after her miscalculated attack on Alcide that gave a deathblow to Sam. *sigh* and of course Sookie had to use her ultimate wish box to save him…buh bye Cluviel Dor.
Charlaine Harris is obviously setting up for the finale next year with poor old Sookie licking her wounds from yet another betrayal and leaving the chessboard open for who Sookie will end up with if anyone at all.
Since “Dead and Gone”, I have found it difficult to get as excited about the Sookie Stackhouse Series like I once did. Clutching my fanfic tight to me, I feel I have to just read the books as a separate entity if that makes sense. I truly miss the Eric and Sookie storyline and fail to see why Charlaine Harris needs to throw it to the back burner after a 9 book build up.
Overall I thought it was a good paranormal mystery. There was plenty of action and some nice twist and turns. Disappointed in the romance or lack there of between Eric and Sookie, but I will hold out hope for the final instalment next year.







































0 comments:
Post a Comment
Many thanks for your comment!
~Fairy
*In order to avoid spam, your comment will be moderated before posting. Thank you for you patience*